Film Distributors' Association Ltd (FDA) is the trade body representing theatrical film distributors in the UK. Originally established in 1915, the association promotes a distribution perspective on cinema industry issues and offers a range of support services to distributors and the industry.
Film Distributors' Association co-ordinates national press screenings for UK film critics and circulates a weekly schedule of forthcoming releases, used by many journalists and others.
FDA maintains a dialogue with other industry organisations to help foster mutual understanding and co-operation. FDA is represented on a number of key film industry bodies, including:
- All Industry Marketing for Cinema (AIM) Committee, established in 1984 to promote cinemagoing generically throughout the UK. Also represented on AIM, alongside FDA, are the Cinema Exhibitors' Association, the Cinema Advertising Association, the Film Council and the British Academy of Film & Television Arts (BAFTA);
- Cinema Marketing Agency, a company set up jointly by AIM and the UK Film Council in 2001 to create marketing partnerships on behalf of the cinema industry and further increase cinema admissions;
- Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), established in 1982 to combat video piracy and other forms of copyright theft which rip off the industry and customers alike. Visit our section on piracy.
- British Screen Advisory Council (BSAC), an independent, industry-funded, advisory body to government and policy-makers, which also provides a forum for the discussion of issues affecting the audio/visual industry;
- Advertising Viewing Committee, which approves display materials for '18' certificate films.
- FDA is also a member of the Paris-based International Federation of Film Distributors' Associations (FIAD).
FDA members make annual contributions to Film Education, a registered charity which promotes the use of film within the National Curriculum, and the National Film & Television School. When suitable opportunities arise, they also assist a variety of other charities, including the Cinema & Television Benevolent Fund, by making new films available for benefit screenings and premieres.
Current FDA members:
- Arrow Films
- Artificial Eye
- Axiom Films
- E1 Entertainment UK
- Entertainment Film Distributors
- Eros International
- Icon Film Distribution
- Independent Distribution
- Metrodome Distribution
- Momentum Pictures
- Paramount Pictures UK
- Park Circus
- Pathé Distribution
- Pinewood Pictures
- Reliance Entertainment
- Revolver Entertainment
- Soda Pictures
- Sony Pictures Releasing
- Twentieth Century Fox Film Co.
- Universal Pictures UK
- UTV Motion Pictures
- Vertigo Films
- Verve Pictures
- Warner Bros. Distributors
- Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, UK
- The Works UK Distribution
The FDA board, comprising the managing directors of member companies, considers only matters of generic interest to distributors.